Blinkie

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Shhhhhh Be Quiet


This beautiful part of the earth is Panguitch Lake, and it is located in Southern Utah, not far from my Grandma's house in Panguitch, Utah.


My Grandpa loved to fish here because the trout were really BIG. No Kidding. In fact, the word Panguitch is an Indian word that means big fish.


When I was small, my Grandpa took me in his little row boat out on the lake, and told me if I was very quiet, he would help me catch a fish. This is where I caught my very first fish. Because, whenever I started to talk, Grandpa would say, "Shhhh, be quiet!"


After the fish were caught, we rowed over to the shore, and there my mother and her mother would have fried potatoes with onions, and all the bounty of the garden waiting for us. Tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, lettuce, and corn on the cob were laid out like a feast. Then Grandpa would cook the fish.


No one, and I mean NO ONE, could cook a trout like Grandpa. He would pull the bones out, and I never had to worry about getting one caught in my throat, because Grandpa could always get every bone out of the fish.


I still go to Panguitch Lake to fish, but somehow, the fish never taste quite as good, and there is always a bone or two. My children grew up fishing too. I just wish they could have had one fish cooked by Grandpa.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, dear Cuzzin Annie, beautifully said. Your words brought back many memories of the good old days with grandma and grandpa on Panguitch Lake.

    How lucky we were to know such love.

    Keep the comments coming, sweet one.

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, You've done a perfect job of expressing the love and experiences we had with our wonderful grandma and grandpa. We were indeed blessed and most fortunate. Keep writing, sweet cuzzin.

    Hugs,
    Cuzzin Irene

    ReplyDelete